Thursday 5 February 2015

Self Review

For the Midsummer Night's Dream monologue I tried to get the iambic pentameter right but I struggled with this and did break up a few of the lines where there shouldn't have been pauses and breaks. I didn't focus on the rhythm in the early stages of learning the lines as much as I should have. Having said that I did quite well I believe. I knew the lines fairly well. I fluffed the names swapping Hermia and Helena at one point. However, managed to correct this mistake in my call back performance. The character is quite well bred and would be of high status, to show this I maintained a good posture and a raised head throughout the performance. 

For the Danny and the Deep Blue Sea monologue my original intentions where to keep quite controlled movements but I might have gone a bit overboard with this and made it look a little unnatural, which was not my intention. I think I might have dropped the accent or the accent may have changed a little during the middle. My feedback from my tutor doesn't reflect this however. 

The character I was trying to create for the Translations monologue was completely different from what I ended up with. My original interpretation was that he was someone who was proud of his heritage and that was how I began to rehearse it but after some research I found that he was not proud of his heritage and couldn't care less about it. After more research into it I found out the monologue is him frustrated with the character of Yoland, who is romanticising about everything Irish. It is not his intention to honour his heritage, it his intention to point out the ridiculousness of it. The physicality for the character was quite loose and natural and a little bit sarcastic. I believe my accent for this was not the strongest of the three but was not bad. 

During the rehearsal process I ran and reran each of these monologues over the weeks making minor changes, keeping what worked in my opinion and changing what didn't. 

Picking two contemporary pieces that both required accents was risky but these were the characters that I connected with the most early on. Even when I realised that the characters or performances weren't what I initially thought, I had made connections to the characters so decided to continue with them.



No comments:

Post a Comment